Sunday, January 16, 2011

See the work that the Lord is doing in others.

Along with focusing on grace this year, I have been studying the Old Testament.
Today I read Genesis 26, and came upon this verse:
"They said, “We see plainly that the LORD has been with you. So we said, let there be a sworn pact between us, between you and us, and let us make a covenant with you..." -Genesis 26:28
To explain why these words hit me, let's backtrack. These words were spoken by Abimelech and his people to Isaac. Abimelech was not so happy with Isaac for "pulling an Abraham" and saying Rebekah was his sister and not his wife. (Abimelech isn't too happy when others cause him to sin). So up unto this point, Abimelech didn't like Isaac. Isaac even says that Abimelech hates him. But the Lord changed that.

But the Lord.  Sometimes, there are no more beautiful words than that. But the Lord [provided, changed, gave, blessed, helped, foresaw, etc].
The ESV Study Bible says that this verse shows a change of heart (by the Lord!) for Abimelech.

Reading these words, I had such a sense that any relationship can be redeemed. The Lord can do it! That friendship you have given up hope on? That sibling you haven't talked to in yours? It can be redeemed. Isaac was going about his work, serving the Lord, obeying Him, praising Him, and the Lord redeemed it.

This verse not only brings hope of redemption, but also the amazing truth that God opens the eyes of others to His work in our lives - so that we may bring Him glory! This I pray, each and every day, that God may first of all use me and change me, but also that the change will bring Him glory!

Focusing on my word of grace, I am asking myself, "Is His grace not enough for me? To change me? To change others?" What a silly question when we know our God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please join the conversation!